UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Margaret, Betley, Staffordshire

Description

The church of St. Margaret is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and a western tower containing 6 bells: the chancel was rebuilt in 1610 and the tower in 1713, but the nave and aisles are ancient and are separated by four plain pointed arches of wood on each side, resting on pillars formed out of single trunks' of trees, no stone whatever being used in the interior of the nave: on the walls of the nave and chancel are monuments to Francis Twemlow, d. 1865; Sir Thomas Fletcher bart. J.P. of Betley Court, d. 1812; Charles Wicksted, of Betley Hall, d. 1870, and Ralph Egerton, d. 1610: the nave was restored in 1842: there are 383 sittings.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1538.

Findmypast, in association with the Staffordshire & Stoke on Trent Archive Service have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Betley

St. Margaret
Betley
Staffordshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Lichfield
Sittings:383
Graveyard:Yes