UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. John the Evangelist, Tolpuddle, Dorset


The parish church of St. John the Evangelist is a building of flint and stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and consists of large chancel, nave, north aisle, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing 4 bells: all the windows in the chancel are stained: a stained glass window in the north transept was erected in 1894 to the memory of Canon George Lloyd Nash M.A. 41 years vicar of this parish. There is also a memorial oak chair presented by the parishioners. The silver communion plate bears the date 1577: the church was restored in 1855, and affords 240 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1718. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by and made available on their site (subscription required).

St. John the Evangelist

Denomination:Church of England