St Mary, Yate, Gloucestershire
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in various styles, consisting of chancel, with aisles, nave, north aisle, north transept, north and south chapels, south porch and a western tower containing 6 bells: there is a brass with effigy to Alexander Staples, ob. 1590, and his two wives, Avis and Elizabeth, and eleven children, and a somewhat curious Latin inscription; a memorial to Hodges Godwin, jun. esq. ob. 1677, and an inscription to Henry Wogan esq. ob. 1661; the stained east window exhibits a design after Albert Durer; and there are others to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Burges, of The Ridge, Yate (1898), the Rev. W. S. Goodenough, a former rector, and his widow (1877), Mrs. A. E. Toler (1899), and to the Rev. D. C. Randolph, and his son, W. C. Randolph (1898): the chancel was restored in 1879, at a cost of £2,228, and since 1896 the whole of the church has been restored at a cost of over £3,000, and the tower completed from designs by W. D. Caroe esq. architect: there are 350 sittings.
The registers of baptisms and burials date from the year 1660; marriages, 1661.