St. Mary, Woodchester, Gloucestershire
The church of St. Mary, erected in 1864, is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, north aisle, south porch and a tower, with spire containing a clock and chimes, presented by Mrs. and the Misses Cholmeley at Christmas, 1877, and 6 bells; there are seven stained windows, erected from designs by the late Mr. S. S. Teulon, architect, of London: the stained west window, a memorial to George Paul, who died 14th April, 1880, was erected by his son, Edward John Dean Paul, 1886: a number of ancient monuments were transferred from the old church: these include two monuments to Nathaniel Peach, d. 1719, his son, d. 1780, and his wife, d. 1765: in the baptistery are life-sized recumbent effigies of Sir George Huntley kt. ob. 23rd Sept. 1622, and Eleanor (Winter), his wife, surrounded by figures of nine children: there is also a monument to Robert Bridges, d. 1722: the church affords 500 sittings: underneath a portion of the old churchyard and an adjoining paddock are some very beautiful remains of an ancient Roman tesselated pavement.
The register dates from the year 1563.