St. Mary, Thorncombe, Dorset
The parish church of St. Mary, built in 1867, at a cost of about £4,000, is a fine stone building in the Perpendicular style, embattled throughout, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south transept and a western tower, containing 5 bells: the south transept was built at the sole expense of the late Mrs. Bertram Evans, of Forde Abbey: there is a monument to Sir Thomas Brooke Knt. d. April 10, 1419, and three memorial windows to the Rev. Charles Egerton and Mary, his wife, and John, their son; the stained east window, placed in 1893, is a memorial to Col. Bragge, Margaret, his wife, and Adela, their daughter: there are 400 sittings.
The parish register dates from the year 1540. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Thorncombe, 1552-1812 is online.