St. Mary, Tarrant Rushton, Dorset
The parish church of St. Mary is an ancient cruciform building of flint and stone in the Norman and Early English styles, chiefly of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and a bell chamber containing one bell: there are three perfect hagioscopes, of the Decorated period, and a piscina of the same period: two earthenware vessels have been found built into the chancel arch, and remains of stone tomb covers: there are memorial windows to the Rev. Francis A. Smith, d. 1877, and Miss Isabella Wilson, d. 1887, and brasses to Captain Smith, d. 1885; Captain Arthur Roe, died of wounds 1914; and the Rev. J. Penney M.A. rector 1877-1915, died Jan. 1915; the church was restored between 1878 and 1887, and has sittings for 120 persons.
The parish register dates from the year 1700. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).