UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. John the Baptist , Tredington, Gloucestershire

Description

The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone, in the Norman and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, containing a beautiful Norman arch, also one dividing chancel from nave, and a wooden tower on the western gable containing 5 bells; the tower was rebuilt and the bells put in order in 1883 at the sole cost of the late John Surman esq.: the chancel is remarkable for its great length: there are the remains of two Norman windows, and in the chancel a peculiar stone sedile: on the north side of the communion table is a recess: in 1896 a memorial window was erected to the late John Surman esq. and Elizabeth, his wife; an organ was also presented by their family at the same time: in 1893 the nave was refloored at a cost of about £97, by the parishioners and landowners, and in 1890 a clock, the gift of Commander A. B. Mansell R.N. was presented in memory of his uncle, John Surman esq. of Tredington Court: the cost of restorations carried out during the period of 1883-90, amounted to £551: there is a memorial brass to George Norman Bell, of Hampstead, d. 1882, and an ancient font: there are sittings for 150 persons. In the churchyard, on the south side, stands a cross with a very tall shaft, and in a good, state of preservation.

Church Records

The register of baptisms dates from the year 1551; marriages, 1641; burials, 1541.

St. John the Baptist
Tredington
Gloucestershire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Gloucester
Sittings:150
Graveyard:Yes