St. Thomas à Becket, Todenham, Gloucestershire
The church of St. Thomas à Becket is a building in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, with chantry chapel, nave of three bays, with south chapel, north aisle, south porch and a western tower, with pinnacles and spire, containing a clock and 6 bells: the chancel retains some stone sedilia with canopies, and a piscina: portions of the stairs to the former rood loft also remain: the chantry chapel on the north side of the chancel is now used as the family pew of the Pole family: the chapel on the south side of the nave contains a canopied piscina and credence and a monument to Lady Louisa Pole, who died August 6th, 1852: the Decorated east window was filled with stained glass in 1879 as a memorial to the Rev. Gilbert Malcolm, rector of the parish from 1812; in the chancel is an inscribed brass to William Moulton, ob. 1614: the church was restored in 1879 at a cost of a bout £2,000, and affords sittings for 150 persons.
The register dates from the year 1721, and includes a list of former rectors from a very early period, amongst whom was Thomas Merkes, abbot of Westminster, and afterwards bishop of Carlisle (1397-1403), degraded by Henry IV. for some declaration in favour of Richard II.
The Phillimore & co. transcript of the Marriages at Todenham 1721-1812 is available to browse online.