St. Peter, Southrop, Gloucestershire
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, north porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: the font, dating from between 1160 and 1180, is carved with representations of "Virtue triumphing over Vice": there are fine specimens of herringbone work on the north and south walls, particularly the latter, reaching doubtless to the roof of the original church: the late Rev. John Keble M.A. of Hursley, author of "The Christian Year," was for some years in charge of this parish, and also, in 1823, of the parishes of East Leach and Boutherop, and there are several monuments here to the Keble family: the church was repaired about 1852, and again in 1895, at a cost of £700, and has 165 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1656.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Southrop 1656-1837 is available to browse online.