St. Peter, Upper Slaughter, Gloucestershire
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, north chapel, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: in the chapel, separated from the aisle by a stone screen, is an altar tomb to the Rev. F. E. Witts, late rector (and grandfather of the Rev. Francis Edward Broome Witts M.A., a later rector), who died in 1854, and in the chancel is a tablet to Andrew Wanley esq, of Eyford, dated 1688; and a monument to the Rev. Fernando Tracy Travell, a former rector, dated 1808: there are brasses to John Slaughter, ob. 1583; Eleanor, his wife, ob. 1597; and Paris, his son, ob. 1597: the south wall of the chancel retains a double piscina and sedilia: the stained east window was presented in 1882 by the late Rev. Edward Francis Witts, rector here from 1854, and his wife, and in 1889 two memorial windows were erected to him by his family: the church was restored in 1877, at a cost of £2,100, and has sittings for 250 persons.
The register, including Eyford, dates from the year 1538.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Upper Slaughter 1538-1837 is available to browse online.