St. John the Evangelist, Pauntley, Gloucestershire
The church of St. John the Evangelist is a small but fine building of stone, in the Norman style, supposed to have been built soon after the Conquest by Walter de Pauntley, and consists of chancel with chapel dedicated to St. George, nave, south aisle, north porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the east window is a memorial to John Cowmeadow esq.: the chancel arch is a good example of Norman work, and the south doorway is an enriched specimen of the same period: a new south door was fixed in 1885: on the wall of the south aisle is a mural brass to Elizabeth (Whittington), wife of Sir Giles Pole kt. ob. 18 Sept, 1545: there is also mention of a Thomas Whittington kt. who was related through Elizabeth Pole to Sir Richard Whittington ("Dick Whittington"): there is also a handsome marble monument to Anne Somerset, ob. 1764, daughter of the Hon. Charles Somerset, and grand-daughter of Lord John Somerset, and son of the 1st Marquess of Worcester; to her sister Anna Carolina Brickendine, d. 1770, and to Henry Blachford Scudamore (late of Newent), nephew to the above, d. 1795: there are 120 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1538.