UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Congregational Chapel, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire


The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone in several styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, one south and two north aisles, south porch and a western tower, with lofty spire, containing a clock with chimes and 8 bells: there are four stained windows and several ancient tablets: on a set of panels over the chancel arch are some paintings of the time of Edward IV. (1461-83), representing "The Day of Judgment," and scenes from the life of Our Lord: the pulpit dates from the reign of Henry VII.: there is a brass to the two wives, Margery (Hodye) and Alice (Walwyn), of Thomas Baynham esq. ob. 1444: the church was restored in 1853, at a cost of £5,000, under the direction of Mr. Woodyer, architect, of Guildford, and further improvements, including the erection of a carved oak chancel screen, were effected in 1878 and 1891-3, at a total cost of over £1,500: a reredos in white marble, containing 16 life-sized figures, was erected in 1913 in memory of the late H. F. Jones, surgeon, of Mitcheldean: there are sittings for 700 persons.

Congregational Chapel