Holy Trinity, Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire
The church of the Holy Trinity, partially rebuilt in 1842, is a cruciform edifice of stone, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, transepts, west porch and a central octagonal towerm with embattled parapet, pinnacles and truncated spire, and containing 6 bells, and a clock with chimes and three dials, erected as a memorial of the Diamond Jubilee in 1897 of Queen Victoria: the south transept was rebuilt in 1382 by Sir John de la Mere and Maud, his wife: there are brasses to a civilian and his wife, c. 1500; to Edward Halyday, ob. 1519, and Margery, his wife, with his merchant's mark; to John Hampton, gent. ob. 1556, and his wife Elyn, engraved c. 1510; the effigies are in shrouds, and there are figures of nine children; there is also a brass half-effigy of a female, c. 1530; and another to Dr. James Bradley, now affixed to the wall on the east side of the south transept, but formerly on the tomb in the churchyard: there are modern brasses to Edward Sheppard, d. 1883, and Joseph Bowstead, d. 1876: two stained windows in the south transept were presented in 1889 by the Rev. Edward Colnett Oldfield M.A. rector 1865-84, and there are a number of memorial windows, including one to Edward Playne esq. to whom also a lych-gate was erected in 1909: the church was restored in 1884 at a cost of £850, a new organ was erected in 1887 and repaired and improved in 1905, and in 1889 the church was decorated: there are 600 sittings.
The parish register dates from the year 1555.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Minchinhampton 1566-1812 is available to browse online.