St. Mary, Marshfield, Gloucestershire
The church of St. Mary, erected about 1470, is a large edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of eight bays, aisles, south porch, and a western tower with open parapet and crocketed pinnacles, containing a clock and 8 bells: in the north, aisle there remain some square-headed Decorated windows: the chancel retains sedilia, and monuments to Thomas Feckenham, vicar, 1704; Alworth Merewether M.D. 1791; John Merewether, of Chippenham, 1792, and to the Rev. Lancelot Michell LL.B. 1779: in the north aisle are memorials to the Powell family, 1797-1846, and to John Gostlett, 1692, and Mary, his wife, 1698: in the south aisle are other monuments to Jane, wife of John Hodges, 1696; Mark Harward and Mary, his wife, 1679; the Rev. Thomas Willis, of Bletchley, 1789, and Catherine, his wife, 1823; Rev. Isaac William Webb Horlock, vicar of Box, Wilts, 1829, and Ann, his wife, 1849; Samuel Briscoe, 1694, and Hester, his wife, 1696: the church was restored in 1887 at a cost of £565, and affords sittings for 550 persons. In 1894 the churchyard was enlarged by about a quarter of an acre of land, acquired by public subscription, at cost of £175.
The parish register date from the year 1559, and is in excellent condition.