UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Peter, Leckhampton, Gloucestershire

Description

The church of St. Peter is an edifice of stone, principally in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, north porch and a central tower, with spire, containing 8 bells, two of which were added in 1904: in the south aisle is a brass with effigies to William Norwood esq. ob. 1598, Elizabeth (Lygon) his wife, nine sons and two daughters, with six Latin elegiac verses; in the church are two recumbent effigies of stone, coloured, representing Sir John Gifford and his lady, c. 1330; the male figure is cross-legged: there is also an effigy of an ecclesiastic: all the windows are stained, and there are various handsome mural tablets, one of which is to the last lineal descendant of Sir Francis Drake: there are sittings for 500 persons: on the north side of the churchyard are two recumbent stone effigies much dilapidated.

Church Records

The register of burials dates from the year 1682; baptisms, 1709; marriages, 1719.

St. Peter
Leckhampton
Gloucestershire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Gloucester
Built:15th c.
Sittings:500
Graveyard:Yes