UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Mary, Puddletown, Dorset

Description

The parish church of St. Mary is a large building of stone, principally in the Perpendicular style, and consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle or chapel dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, north and south porches, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells, rehung, one recast and one added, in 1897, at a total cost of £300: the chancel and north aisle were lengthened in 1911 at the cost of the Rev. J. G. Brymer M.A. the lay rector: in the Athelhampton chapel there are several effigies of the Martin family, the earliest dating from 1250, and numerous alter tombs and brasses: the stained east window is a memorial to the late Rev. F. E. Freeman M.A. vicar 1868-1906: and there is another in the aisle presented by Alfred de Lafontaine esq. of Athelhampton: there are 455 sittings.

Church Records

The registers of marriages and burials date from the year 1538, and baptisms from 1547. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).

St. Mary
Puddletown
Dorset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Sittings:455
Graveyard:Yes