UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. James the Less, Iron Acton, Gloucestershire


The church of St. James the Less is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chaneel, nave of four bays, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells: in the church is a helmet formerly belonging to one of the Poyntz family: there is an ancient monument to Mr. John Trewman, dated 1686; there are also two ancient brasses to John Crowther (1624) and Margaret Crowther, his wife (1630); in the churchyard are the remains of a very handsome but mutilated stone cross with steps: the interior of the church was thoroughly restored at the beginning of 1878, and the tower in 1892, at a cost of £3,400: there are 300 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1570.

St. James the Less
Iron Acton

Denomination:Church of England