St. John the Baptist, Huntley, Gloucestershire
The church of St. John the Baptist was entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in the year 1863, at the sole expense of the Rev. Daniel Capper, of Cheltenham, rector from 1839, from designs by Mr. S. S. Teulon, architect; it is a building of red sandstone with Painswick stone dressings, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, transepts, north aisle, south porch, vestry and a western tower, with spire of Painswick stone, added in 1863, and containing 6 bells: the reredos is of alabaster, mosaic and marble, with carved representations of "the Lord's Supper," the "Nativity" and the "Resurrection"; the pulpit, of the same material, is also handsomely carved: all the windows are stained: in 1908 an oak and glass screen was fitted in the belfry: there are sittings for about 300 persons.
The register dates from the year 1663.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Huntley 1583-1837 is available to browse online.