UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Mary, Powerstock, Dorset


The parish church of St. Mary is a building of stone, principally in the Decorated style, and consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower, containing a clock with chimes, and 5 bells, rehung in 1897: the chancel contains six stained windows; the stained west window is a memorial to the Ven. Thomas Sanctuary M.A. archdeacon of Dorset, and vicar of this parish, 1848-89: the original chancel arch is still preserved and is a highly interesting example of the Early Norman period; its capitals are enriched with characteristic sculpture and its pillars with a variety of arabesque patterns: the south doorway is elaborately adorned with niches flanked by panelled and crocketed butresses and pinnacles, the principal niche containing a group of the Virgin and Child: at the base of the tower are some remains of sculptured stones which belong to the Early Norman period: there is a fine brass eagle lectern, a panelled pulpit enriched with sculptured effigies of St. Peter, St. John and the Virgin, and an Early English font of Purbeck marble: the church was restored in 1859 at a cost of about £2,200, and affords 350 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1568. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by and made available on their site (subscription required).

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Powerstock and West Milton, 1568-1812 is online.

St. Mary

Denomination:Church of England