UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Mary, Hawkesbury, Gloucestershire


The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, with some traces of earlier work, and consists of chancel, with south aisle, clerestoried nave of four bays, south aisle, south chantry with a piscina, north and south porches, with a parvise over each and a lofty embattled western tower containing one bell: a room in the tower has a fireplace and chimney, and the same is the case with each parvise: in the north porch is a portion of a stoup, and the chancel retains a double piscina, and the canopy of an Easter sepulchre; the doorways of the rood loft remain in the wall of the south aisle: the richly-sculptured stone pulpit is a Perpendicular work: there are mural tablets in the chancel to Sir Robert B. Jenkinson bart. and 2nd Earl of Liverpool K.G. Prime Minister of England from 1812 to 1827, who died 4th December 1828; and to Charles, first Earl of Liverpool, who died 17th December, 1808; and one in the west wall to the Rev. Potter Cole, 73 years vicar of this parish, who died in 1802, aged 97: the church was thoroughly restored in 1884, under the direction of Mr. Wood Bethell, architect, of London, at a cost of £2,300 raised by subscription, when the galleries were removed, the nave roofed with oak, the chancel refitted with oak, and the Norman doorway repaired: there are 400 sittings.

Church Records

The register, including Tresham, dates from the year 1603.

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Hawkesbury 1603-1812 is available to browse online.

St. Mary

Denomination:Church of England