UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Nicholas, Hatherop, Gloucestershire


The church of St. Nicholas, rebuilt in 1855, is an edifice of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and a central tower containing 6 bells, the gift of Sir John Webb bart. in 1715, and a clock with chimes, presented by Sir Thomas S. Bazley bart. in 1868: there are 20 stained windows, and attached to the church is a beautiful mortuary chapel, with a marble monument, by Monti, to Barbara, Lady de Mauley, who died 5th of June, 1844, erected by her husband, William F. Spencer Ponsonby, first Lord de Mauley, who also restored the church about 1850, and died 16th May, 1855: the carved font was the gift, in 1856, of William Longbourne esq. in memory of the same Baron de Mauley: the communion plate includes a chalice, dated 1599: there are sittings for 200 persons.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1578.

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Hatherop 1578-1837 is available to browse online.

St. Nicholas

Denomination:Church of England
Built:15th c.