UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. James, Poole, Dorset


The parish church of St. James, erected in 1820, on the site of an ancient fabric, is an edifice of stone in the Late Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a western tower containing a clock and 8 bells: the eatern lectern was presented in 1887 in memory of Charles Schreiber M.A. who died in 1884, when M.P. for Poole: in 1894 a new pulpit was erected as a memorial to the late Rev. John Lewis Williams M.A. vicar of Great Canford 1884-93: and in 1897 a stained window was unveiled by Earl Nelson in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria: a new communion table and two rails were provided in 1907 as a memorial to the Rev. J.A. Lawson, rector of Poole 1868-1905: the interior was thoroughly reparied in 1871 at a cost of £300, and in 1893 a further sum of £925 was expended in reseating refitting the church.

Church Records

The parish register of St. James dates from the year 1558. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by and made available on their site (subscription required).

St. James

Denomination:Church of England