UK Genealogy Archives logo

The Parish church of Hanham Abbots, Gloucestershire (dedication unknown)

Description

Hanham Abbots parish church, formerly a chapel of ease to the church of St. Mary at Bitton, stands within the grounds of Hanham Court, and structurally attached to the mansion; it is a building of stone of the early part of the 13th century, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, north porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell, inscribed with the name of St. George, to whom the church was probably dedicated: the font is Norman: the church was extensively renovated in 1909, under the direction of Mr. Bligh Bond, architect, and reopened in June of that year: there are 150 sittings.

Church Records

The original registers of Hanham Abbots, for baptisms and marriages only, and dating from 1586, were for a long time in the custody of the vicar of Bitton. The modern register dates from the year 1815.

The Parish Church
Hanham Court
Hanham Abbots
Gloucestershire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Bristol
Built:13th c.
Sittings:150
Graveyard:No