St. John, Elmore, Gloucestershire
The church of St. John is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with aisle, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: there are monuments and stone slabs within the altar rails, belonging to the Guise family, including a raised tomb with the rude figure of a man, and a marginal inscription to John Gyse, ob. 1479, and Alice his wife, and other memorials to Sir William Guyse, ob. 1642; Margaret (Kenn), his wife, and William, his son, ob. 1653; and to William Guise esq. d. 1716, and Dorothea (Snell), his wife, d. 1738; and Henry Guise esq. d. 1749: the church was restored in 1879, at a cost of nearly £1,500, and again in 1899 at a cost of about £150: there are sittings for 350 persons.
The register dates from the year 1560.