UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Mary, Netherbury, Dorset

Description

The parish church of St. Mary is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch, vestry and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 6 bells: in the south aisle is a mutilated recumbent alabaster effigy, under a canopy, to one of the More family, and there are three stained windows and a Norman font: an organ chanber was built in 1894, at a cost of £200, and the organ was renovated and enlarged in 1906 at a cost of £200: the church affords 400 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1580. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).

St. Mary
Netherbury
Dorset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Sittings:400
Graveyard:Yes