St. James the Great, Cranham, Gloucestershire
The church of St. James the Great, restored in 1866, was entirely rebuilt in 1894-5, with the exception of the tower and south aisle, which, together with the chancel, was lengthened 3 feet, and a north aisle and vestry added; a fine new oak roof was erected over the nave, the church reseated throughout with oak benches and the ancient oak screen repaired: the church is now in mixed styles, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, porch, vestry and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells and a clock, placed in 1897 in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of H.M. Queen Victoria. The cost, amounting to about £3,000, was chiefly borne by T. Dyer Edwardes esq. of Prinknash Park: the stained east window was erected by W. S. Hall esq. to the memory of his father: Mr. Hall also presented an organ, at a cost of £300: there are 120 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1666.