UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Peter, Shirwell, Devon

Description

The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, south aisle, south porch and a low embattled tower on the south side, with pinnacles containing 6 bells, all cast by William Evans, of Chepstow, in 1733: the chancel retains a piscina, and in the north wall is the recumbent effigy of a lady in a long straight-flowing dress and mantle and wearing a square ornamented head-dress; the figure is assumed to represent Blanche, daughter of William Bourchier, Lord Fitzwarren, and wife of Bartholomew St. Leger, ob. 4th January, 1483; the fine and ancient oak screen dividing the chancel from the nave, which existed in 1847, has now disappeared: the font is possibly Norman: the church has been restored since 1873 at a cost of £1,336 and affords 200 sittings.

St. Peter, Shirwell Nave of St. Peter, Shirwell

Church Records

The register of baptisms dates from the year 1538; marriages, 1539; burials, 1546.

thumbnail image

St. Peter
Shirwell
Devon

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Exeter
Sittings:200
Graveyard:Yes