UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Osmond, Melbury Osmond, Dorset

Description

The parish church, named in honour of St. Osmond, one of the earliest bishops of Sarum, is an ancient edifice of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled tower containing 5 bells: the church was restored in 1888 by the 5th Earl of Ilchester, the late Sir Arthur Blomfield being the architect: a beautiful Gothic arch was discovered during the restoration, which had been built up, the head being cut away for a doorway into the west gallery: on removing the gallery and taking down the steps leading to it from the outside, a Norman font of Ham Hill stone was discovered built into the masonry, and in good preservation; the font was replaced in the position it occupied a century and a half before, a portion of the arch having been obviously cut out for it to fit in: the chancel was lengthened in 1910 at the cost of the rector, the Rev. Herbert Foley Napier: there are 175 sittings.

St. Osmond, Melbury Osmond
St. Osmond, Melbury Osmond
St. Osmond, Melbury Osmond
St. Osmond, Melbury Osmond

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1750. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).

St. Osmond
Melbury Osmond
Dorset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Sittings:175
Graveyard:Yes