UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Michael, Brimpsfield, Gloucestershire


The church of St. Michael is an edifice of stone, in the Early English, Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled central tower of the 16th century, containing 3 bells: the nave is supposed to have been part of the priory: the chancel has no east window: the south porch and chancel are Norman, the latter retains a piscina of Early English date: in the north wall is a portion of a spiral stair, formerly leading to the rood loft: on the chancel wall are inscribed brasses (removed from floor stones when the church was restored) to Humphrey Taylor, 1797; Ann, daughter of Edward Palling, 1798; William Lawrence, 1708-9, and Mary, his wife, 1701, and Isaac Lawrence, 1759; Elizabeth, his wife, 1757: there are wall tablets to Humphrey Taylor, of Caudle Green, 1745, and Mary his wife, 1752, and various members of their family, 1745 to 1787; and to the Rev. William Walbank, rector of this parish, 1784: the church was restored in 1883, at a cost of £1,000, the chancel by the father of the then rector, and the rest of the building at a cost of £800, of which sum W. K. Wait esq. contributed £200: there are 150 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1587.

St. Michael

Denomination:Church of England