St. Michael, Great Badminton, Gloucestershire
The church of St. Michael, a modern building of stone in the Classic style, consecrated in 1785, consists of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles and a western tower with pinnacles, containing 3 bells: it has a highly enriched ceiling and handsome monuments to former dukes and other members of the Beaufort family: in July, 1855, Field-Marshal Lord Raglan, who died in the Crimea, June 28, 1855, during the siege of Sebastopol, was buried here: the chancel was added in 1875, at a cost of £1,750, and a fine marble monument to Henry, 1st Duke of Beaufort, who died January 21, 1699, has been transferred here from the Beaufort chapel at Windsor Castle, where it was originally placed: the font is of beautifully veined marble. The church was restored in 1908 at a cost of over £3,000, and affords 360 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1538.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Great Badminton 1538-1812 is available to browse online.