St. Nicholas, Ashchurch, Gloucestershire
The church of St. Nicholas is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, with additions mostly of the 14th century, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of six bays. south porch, north aisle and an embattled western tower of the 14th century, with four pinnacles, and containing 6 bells: it has a handsome carved oak screen, with canopy, and some remains of ancient stained glass: in the chancel are five stained windows, and there are memorial windows to the Rev. Charles Holden Steward, d. 1894, Mrs. Steward, d. 1910, and to Col. Henry Gillum-Webb, d. 1904; two brasses in the chancel to Herbert Charles Steward, who died on board the S.S. Malwa in 1877, and to Major-Gen. Atlay C.B., R.A. d. 1895: there are also two ancient brasses in the floor to the Ferrers family, dated 1579, 1583, 1605 and 1636, and a mural monument, with effigy, to William Ferrers, citizen of London, d. 1025: chained to the wall, on a desk, is a large copy of "Foxe's Martyrs:" the church was restored in 1888-9, at a cost of £575, and affords 450 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1555.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Ashchurch 1555-1837 is available to browse online.