UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Michael and All Angels, Stokenham, Devon


The church of St. Michael and All Angels, formerly dedicated to St. Barnabas, is a large building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consecrated in 1431 and consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: the chancel retains its piscina, and the fine screen has been restored and re-decorated: the font is of early date: the pulpit is of stone, but has been painted to match the screen, and was a gift by the Freemasons of England during the incumbency of the Rev. John Charles Carwithen: the east window is a memorial to Mrs. Holdsworth, d. 1875: a stained window in the south transept commemorates 28 persons who perished in the wreck or the "Spirit of the Ocean" on this coast 23rd March, 1866, and there is another erected by the Holdsworth family to their mother, who died in 1888, and one to the Allen family: the church was restored in 1874 at a cost of £1,200, and the chancel in 1890, by A. F. Holdsworth esq. at a cost of £300: there are 600 sittings. John Somaster, the last of the family of that name at Painsford, in Ashprington, was buried here in 1681.

St. Michael and All Angels, Stokenham Nave of St. Michael and All Angels, Stokenham

Church Records

The registers date from the year 1578.

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Stokenham

St. Michael and All Angels

Denomination:Church of England