Holy Trinity, Buckfastleigh, Devon
The church of the Holy Trinity, standing on a lofty eminence, is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing 6 bells: the church contains a Norman font and an ancient stone altar: there was a memorial window erected by the late Mr. and Mrs. John Fleming, of Bigadon, to their daughter, and two others to a former vicar and his wife, and to a Mr. James Powning and his Son: the stained east window, with four smaller ones, was the gift of Richard John King esq. who formerly resided in the parish: the west window was erected by Miss Lowndes in memory of her parents: the carved oak pulpit was the work of the late Mr. John Pope: the covers of the Bible were also exquisitely carved: in 1897 the chancel was renovated and refloored, and a new altar presented, the cost being defrayed by the late John Fleming esq. of Bigadon, and his wife: in 1911 a new organ and choir stalls were added: there were 400 sittings. In 1992 the church was gutted by fire and now only the remains of the outer shell of the building are extant, although the tower and spire have been restored. East of the church, but detached from it, is an ivy-clad ruin, possibly the remains of an old chantry chapel; this is presently being restored.
The parish register dates from the year 1602.