St. Andrew, Ashburton, Devon
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient cruciform structure of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, aisles, north porch and lofty embatt1ed western tower with turret 92 feet high and containing 8 bells, refitted in 1896, and a striking clock, provided in 1887, at a cost of £200: the north porch is of Transition Norman date: the north aisle was built in 1315, the south aisle between 1420 and 1455: the head of King Edward II. occurs amongst the bosses in the roof of the north aisle: the south aisle is the burial place of the Dunning family: there are eight stained windows, and in the south aisle is a tablet, with inscription by Dr. Johnson, to John Dunning, 1st Baron Ashburton, d. 18th August, 1783: the ancient rood screen, erected in 1525 at a cost of £20, was removed in 1718, and the pulpit and oak eagle lectern were sold in 1777 to the parish of Bigbury for £11 11s.: the church was restored during the period 1884-8, under the direction of the late G. E. Street R.A. at a cost of £5,970, when the nave was reseated in oak and the chancel fitted with oak stalls and separated from the aisles by parclose screens: a new organ and case were added in 1912 at a cost of £1,200: there are about 800 sittings.
The parish register commences in the year 1603.