St. Michael, Bootle, Cumberland
The church of St. Michael is an edifice of rubble cobbles, with red sandstone dressings, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, west porch and a western tower 90 feet in height and containing 2 bells: on the north wall of the chancel is a brass to Bridget Fox, widow, daughter of Richard Parker, of Tarn, by whose munificent gift of £1,500 the restoration of the church in 1891 was principally effected: on the south wall is a brass, with effigy of a knight in armour, to Sir Hugh Askew, ob. 2 March, 1562, and knighted at the battle of Pinkie, or Musselburgh, 10 Sept. 1547: there is also a shield bearing a bugle horn and the inscription J. H. and another with the initials R. B.: in the vestry are hatchments for the Rev. Richard Hutton B.D. rector, d. 1 July, 1804, the Rev. Daniel Steele, rector, d. 1764, and the Rev. John Wennington B.A. d. 1764: on the north wall of the nave is a brass to Thomas Grice esq. of Cross House: the font has an octagonal basin with the inscription, In Nomine Patris, Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, in old English characters; six of the sides are ornamented with quatrefoils, and the other two bear shields with the arms of the Huddlestone family: the church was repaired and transepts added in 1837: the rebuilding of the tower, begun in 1870, was completed in 1880: in 1888 the chancel was new-roofed, new altar rails fixed and an organ erected, at a cost of £300, and in 1891 a new roof was put on the nave, the interior re-seated and choir stalls and a pulpit of oak erected: in the course of excavating for the foundations of the tower, six skeletons of unusual size were met with, lying north and south: the cost of restoration since 1893 has amounted to £3,300: the church affords 400 sittings.
The parish registers date from the year 1655.