UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Michael and All Angels, Ainstable, Cumberland


The church of St. Michael and All Angels is an ancient building of red freestone in the Norman style; it was repaired in the early part of the present century, and consists of chancel, nave, vestry, added in 1870, and a small embattled tower at the north-west, containing a clock and 2 bells: there are several handsome marble monuments to members of the Aglionby family, from 1757 to 1834; and also two effigies, representing Katherine Denton, ob. 1428, and her husband, removed hither in 1778 from. St. Cuthbert's, Carlisle. The church affords 200 sittings. In the church is a stone incised with a stepped floriated cross, a crested helmet and sword and four shields of arms of the Dentons of Cardew, former owners of the manor; round the margin is an inscription.

Church Records

The parish registers date from the year 1664.

St. Michael and All Angels

Denomination:Church of England