UK Genealogy Archives logo

St. Andrew, Sampford Courtenay, Devon

Description

The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles with arcades of five arches, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells, all cast in 1770, by John Pennington, and re-hung in a new oak frame, and the tenor bell re-cast, in 1905: the fine carved oak roof displays two carved bosses, with busts representing an earl and countess of the Courtenay family of the 14th century: two others bear the figure of a boar and the arms of Courtenay: the rood screen was taken down in 1831 and no remains now exist: the church was restored in 1899 at a cost of £2,500, and affords 300 sittings.

Church of St. Andrew, Sampford Courtenay, DevonNave of St. Andrew, Sampford Courtenay, Devon

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1558.

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Sampford Courtenay

thumbnail image

St. Andrew
Sampford Courtenay
Devon

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Exeter
Sittings:300
Graveyard:Yes