St. Peter, Alton, Staffordshire
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone, in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and five bells; the church was partly rebuilt in 1830, at an expense of £1,200, and restored in 1862: the tower and the north arcade formed part of the original church, a Norman building, erected in the 12th century by Bertram de Verdun, lord of Alton, and given by him to the Abbey of Croxden: the tower was completely restored in 1885 and the bells rehung, the chancel being at the same time restored at the expense of Charles Bill esq. M.A., J.P. lay rector, who also erected a stained east window in memory of his father, J. Bill esq. (d. 1853): the west window was erected in 1887 to the memory of Dr. Fraser, late vicar of the parish: in 1884 a new clock was placed in the tower: the church was restored in 1885 at a cost of £900, and affords 300 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1681.