All Saints, Alrewas, Staffordshire
The church of All Saints, founded A.D. 820, is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and 6 bells: there is some ancient oak carving, a Norman doorway and a good Perpendicular font: the chancel retains sedilia and piscina: there are also traces of a mural painting of the 15th century, representing a bishop accompanied by an acolyte: the fine stone reredos, designed by Mr. Basil Champneys, architect, was the gift of Col. W. G. Webb, of Lyncroft Hall: there are memorial windows to the late Mrs. Bond of this parish and to the Rev. W. J. Webb M.A.: the church was partially restored in 1854 and 1877: an organ was erected in 1882 at a cost of £400: the tower was restored in 1887, at a cost of £900, a new clock with three dials and Cambridge chimes being then added at a cost of £150: in 1891 a north aisle was erected from funds amounting to £1,325 left by the Rev. William James Webb, vicar 1881-90: a lych gate has been erected at the main entrance to the church as a memorial to the late William Bond, esq.: the chancel screen is, in part, of ancient date: there is also a finely carved screen dividing the tower from the nave: there are 350 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1547.