St. Mary, Aldridge, Staffordshire
The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch, and an embattled western tower of the Decorated period, containing a clock and 5 bells: in 1853 the church was enlarged, the north aisle and chancel rebuilt, the interior entirely re-seated, and the western arch opened: the east window and several others are stained: an organ was placed in the church in 1896: in the south wall of the chancel is an ancient recumbent stone effigy, supposed to represent Nicholas de Alrewicke (temp. Hen. III.), the founder of the church, and at the west entrance under the tower is another effigy in chain armour, cross-legged, with helmet and sword, and supposed to commemorate Robert Stapleton, who served in the last Crusade, 1269; there are also other monuments, and the church affords 540 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1660.