UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Michael, Adbaston, Staffordshire

Description

The church of St. Michael is a building, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, north and south porches and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 4 bells: there is a priest's bell: in the church is a tablet to William Wakeley, d. 1715, at the age of 125 years, as appears from the register of deaths: the stained east window was placed by Miss Newton in memory of her mother, whose remains lie in the chancel, which has also been restored chiefly at Miss Newton's expense: "Reginaldus Dominus de Adbaston" was interred here in 1440; his arms, with those of his wife, still remain in the windows of the church, restored in 1888 by Miss Newton, and further restored and reseated with oak in 1890, at a total cost of £1,800, and re-opened by the Bishop of Shrewsbury, 29 Oct. 1890: the tower was restored in 1893, and in 1894 a south porch of stone and carved oak was erected and a new oak pulpit, on a pedestal of alabaster, presented by Miss Newton: there are sittings for 250 persons.

Church Records

The register dates from the rear 1600.

Findmypast, in association with the Staffordshire & Stoke on Trent Archive Service have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Adbaston

St. Michael
Adbaston
Staffordshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Lichfield
Sittings:250