Risca, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire. The village stands on the river Ebbw and the Monmouthshire Canal, 5 ½ miles WNW of Newport. It has a station on the Western Valley section of the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newport. The parish contains also the villages of Cross Keys, Pontymister, and Pontywain, and comprises 1879 acres; population, 5647. It is governed by an urban district council of eighteen members. There are collieries, tinplate and steel works, an iron and steel foundry, a brewery, fire-brick works, and limekilns. The public hall in Risca village was erected in 1884. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; gross value, £225 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Bassaleg. The church was rebuilt in 1853. There are Roman Catholic, Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, Congregational, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan chapels, and a cemetery.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Risca St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Risca from the following: