Aberavon, a market-town, municipal borough, and a parish at the mouth of the river Avon, Glamorgan, 1 mile NW of Port Talbot, 6 miles SSE of Neath, 32 WNW of Cardiff, and 196 from London. Aberavon proper is a little inland, and has a station on the Rhondda and Swansea Bay railway. Port Talbot, formerly called Abermouth or Aberavon Port, is about a mile from the town, in the parish of Margam, and comprises the harbour and docks. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office, with a branch post office at Aberavon. Aberavon has grown rapidly in connection with neighbouring mines and collieries and the export of their produce. At Cwm-Avon, in the vicinity, are extensive copper, iron, and tinplate works. The municipal borough was incorporated under the Municipal Corporation Act in 1861, and is governed by a mayor, 4 aldermen, and 12 councillors. The corporation is the urban sanitary authority, and owns the gas and waterworks and markets. There is a good system of main drainage. Population of municipal borough, 6300. The parish comprises 1331 acres of land and 728 of water; population, 6086. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £235. The Church of St Mary, an edifice in the Early English style, consists of nave, chancel, south aisle, and porch, with a tower, and was built in 1861 on the site of the old parish church. It has a beautiful reredos containing figures representing the Good Shepherd and the four evangelists, which were exhibited in the Academy in 1889-the work of H. H. Armstead, M.A. Baglan, wliich was formerly united to Aberavon, is now a separate benefice ; net value, £210. It was severed in 1891. There are chapels for Roman Catholics, Congregationalists, Baptists, Calvinistic Methodists, Primitive Methodists, and Bible Christians. Aberavon is a centre for an intermediate and technical school under the Welsh Intermediate Education Act. Some interesting localities are in the neighbourhood.