Kinross-shire, Scotland

Description

KINROSS-SHIRE, an inland county, in the south-east of Scotland, bounded on the north-west by the Ochils, which separate it from Strathearn, in the county of Perth; and on the east by the Lomond hills, on the south-east and south by the Henarty range, and on the south by the Cleish hills, which divide it from the county of Fife. It lies between 56° 9' and 56° 18' (N. Lat.), and 3° 14' and 3° 35' (W. Long.), and is about eleven miles in length and nine miles in extreme breadth; comprising an area of seventy square miles, or 44,800 acres; 1928 houses, of which 1812 are inhabited; and containing a population of 8763, of whom 4195 are males and 4568 females. Prior to the year 1426, the greater portion of the county was part of that of Fife; and for a considerable time after its separation, it contained only the parishes of Kinross, Orwell, and Portmoak; but in 1685 were added the parishes of Cleish and Tullichole, and some small portions of the county of Perth. It remained, however, notwithstanding this accession of territory, under the jurisdiction of the sheriff of Fifeshire till the year 1807, when, conjointly with Clackmannan, it was erected into a sheriffdom. Before the abolition of episcopacy the county was included within the archdiocese of St. Andrew's; it is at present in the synod of Fife, and presbyteries of Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, &c. For civil purposes it is under the superintendence of a sheriff-substitute, who resides at Kinross, the county-town, where all the courts are held; it contains the populous village of Milnathort, and a few hamlets. The shires of Kinross and Clackmannan unite in sending a member to parliament.

Transcribed from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851
View the full transcript

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Parishes and places

The towns and parishes have now been moved to a separate page.