Horley (St. Bartholomew)
HORLEY (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union, and First division of the hundred, of Reigate, E. division of Surrey, 5¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Reigate; containing 1583 inhabitants. The manor belonged to the monastery of Chertsey, and after the Reformation was held, among others, by Sir Nicholas Carew, who was attainted in 1539: in 1602 the Crowmer family gave it to Christ's Hospital. The parish comprises by measurement 7050 acres, and is intersected by the London and Brighton railway. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 1. 0½.; net income, £325; patrons and impropriators, the Governors of Christ's Hospital. The church is in the later English style: in some of the windows are remains of stained glass, and the edifice contains the effigy of a man in armour, in a recumbent position, his feet resting on a lion; also an ancient brass effigy, under a pointed arch, to the memory of Joanna Fenner. There is a mineral spring.