Grinsted, West (St. George)
GRINSTED, WEST (St. George), a parish, in the union of Horsham, hundred of West Grinsted, rape of Bramber, W. division of Sussex, 7 miles (S.) from Horsham; containing 1229 inhabitants. This place was anciently of considerable note, and gives name to the hundred. The parish comprises 5356 acres, of which nearly one-half is arable, and 100 acres common land or waste; the surface is undulated, in many parts richly wooded, and the soil is a rich stiffish loam. The canal from the river Adur passes through the parish, near the ancient castle of Knepp. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 17. 6., and in the gift of Col. Wyndham: the tithes have been commuted for £1067; the glebe comprises 100 acres, and there is also a rent-charge of £61. 8. 6. payable to the rector out of the tithes of Lancing. The church is a very neat edifice, containing some Norman details, of which the south doorway is a rich specimen, and consisting of two aisles, with a low tower surmounted by a shingled spire; it contains the sepulchral chapel of the family of Burrell, in which are several highly interesting monuments. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, endowed by the Caryll family. The late Sir W. Burrell, of this place, collected materials for a history of Sussex, which, being unable to complete them from want of health, he bequeathed to the British Museum.