Goostrey, with Barnshaw
GOOSTREY, with Barnshaw, a township and a chapelry, in the parish of Sandbach, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of Cheshire, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Church-Hulme, or Holmes-Chapel; the township containing 325 inhabitants. The manors of Goostrey and Barnshaw (the latter anciently written Bernulpshaw and Bernilshawe) were given by Hugh Fitz-Norman to the convent of St. Werburgh, in Chester: the monks had a chapel here. After the Dissolution the manors were given to the Dean and Chapter of Chester; and subsequently passed to the Cottons and Mainwarings. The township comprises 1697a. 3r. 8p., of which the soil is sand and clay. A railroad, leading from Manchester to Crewe, passes for about four miles through. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £120; patron, the Vicar of Sandbach. The income arises from two farms, one of which is situated in the township of Cranage, and consists of 65 acres, and the other in the township of Timperley, parish of Bowdon, containing 39 acres. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £123, and the impropriate for £56. 10. A school is supported by the interest of £200 left by Mrs. Haslehurst in 1682.