Glemsford (St. Mary)
GLEMSFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Sudbury, hundred of Babergh, W. division of Suffolk, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Sudbury; containing 1366 inhabitants. This is a place of considerable antiquity, and in the reign of Edward the Confessor a collegiate society was established here, under the government of a dean, and invested with several privileges, which were confirmed by Henry III. It was also of importance as a manufacturing town, but only for a short period. An attempt has recently been made to revive its manufactures by establishing the silk-trade; and worsted goods, silks, and velvets are made by handloom: the platting of straw also employs some of the population. The parish comprises by measurement 2295 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £30, and in the gift of the Bishop of Ely: the tithes have been commuted for £800, and the glebe comprises 75 acres, with a house. The church is an ancient and handsome structure, situated on an eminence. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents.