CRAWCROOK, a township, in the parish of Ryton, union of Gateshead, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 7 miles (W.) from Newcastle-on-Tyne; containing 290 inhabitants. The township is intersected by the railway from Newcastle to Carlisle, and bounded on the north by the river Tyne, from which the land gradually rises, commanding pleasing views, and being for the most part undulated; the soil is of good quality, producing turnips and excellent barley, for which latter the district is celebrated. Crawcrook townfields, consisting of 700 acres, were divided by act of parliament in 1794. The tithes have been commuted for £236. The Wesleyans and Presbyterians have places of worship here; and there are schools for boys and girls, the master of which has £30, and the mistress £20 per annum, each with a house and garden, Mr. Simpson having left the interest of £1000 to the institution.