BUDBY, a township, in the parish of Edwinstow, union of Southwell, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Ollerton; containing 127 inhabitants, and comprising 1312 acres. In Domesday book it is called "Buteby," and described as soc of the king's great manor of Mansfield, of which it is now held in fee by Earl Manvers. The village consists of Gothic cottages, and is seated at the south-west corner of Thoresby Park, under a thickly-wooded acclivity, and on the south side of the Medin, which is here crossed by a neat bridge. North and South Budby forests are uninclosed, but form excellent sheep-walks. A school for girls, established in 1791, is under the patronage of the Countess Manvers.